What We Do
Plenary attendance at the IDEA's 107th Annual Conference in St. Paul, Minn.
The International District Energy Association (IDEA) is a nonprofit trade association of district energy professionals, whose support and collaborative input have enabled our organization to inform, connect and advance the district energy industry since we were founded in 1909. IDEA has over 2,100 members in 25 nations and is governed by an all-volunteer Board of Directors.
IDEA activities include:
- Annual Conferences & Events offer rich networking and educational opportunities and provide Continuing Education Units (CEUs) to attendees.
- Our Industry News reports with RSS feed, Twitter page and LinkedIn page have attracted a following of many organizations and individuals who look to our news coverage for insights useful to their business and professional growth and development.
- We have published District Energy magazine since 1915—get the free mobile app for IPads and smartphones.
- Year after year we engage in issues that directly affect utility members, including the treatment of district energy in ASHRAE Standard 189, in LEED®, and in the recently released ASHRAE District Heating and Cooling Handbook.
- IDEA Forums — informal groups of members having common interests — have on-line discussion groups and hold physical meetings at our conferences.
- We publish technical handbooks, including U.S. and Canadian versions of the Community Energy Development Guide, the District Cooling Best Practice Guide and the District Heating Handbook.
- We create educational assets, including interactive media. For example, during the IDEA 100th Annual Conference & Trade Show, we premiered a new industry video, "District Energy: Now's the Time!"
- We actively lobby to secure favorable policies, legislation and regulations for district energy.
- Our subsidiary Microgrid Resources Coalition (MRC) is a consortium of owners, operators, developers, suppliers and investors formed to advocate for policies and regulations that support microgrid deployment—especially those anchored by district energy/CHP.
- Bylaws of the International District Energy Association.
Membership in IDEA is an important investment in our industry that can pay professional dividends for you, your colleagues and your organization. Not a member yet? CLICK HERE to join!